Vintage Beni Ourain rug
Your order is made entirely by hand from 100% natural wool, which means there will be natural (and beautiful) variations in pattern and color. Wool shrinks! While we do our best, final sizes can vary by 1-4"
Not the size you wanted ? Write us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know the size that you'd like. We provide this service for free ! Any special inquiries are welcome.
1. A shepherd tends a flock of sheep in the Atlas Mountains. In the summer, the flock is sheared of its winter wool. It can take 50-100 coats to make a standard sized rug.
2. The wool is bundled and carried to the Oum Er-Rbia River, where it is rinsed and beat against the rocks to cleanse it of a year’s worth of wear.
The wool dries in
the summer sun.
3. The women spin the wool into long strings of yarn using just their hands, shins, and wooden dowels.
4. Now, the yarn is either left as natural, or dyed using natural pigments and then returned to the studio.
The new yarn is strung onto looms.
5. The women begin the long process of weaving a design. Each woman (sometimes working with a partner) works on a rug from start to finish. This can take well over a month of tying knots.
6.The finished rugs are then doused with water, scrubbed clean, and draped over wooden racks where they’ll dry in the mountain air.
Once your order has been placed, we process it within 24 hours. We ship your package with FEDEX Express (or UPS express). From our warehouse in California, delivery takes around 48-72h.
The tradition of our items is a tradition that goes back more than 500 years. These berber items were a must-have in homes during the time of the Ottoman Empire.
All our products are manufactured and shipped directly from Morocco. We stock them in California in order to have a shorter delivery time.
Our craftsmen workshops design and manufacture all products by hand. We carefully control the quality of our products before shipping them.
Some of our products take more than 180 days to produce, entirely designed by hand.
Exceeded my expectations in every sense: the rug is beautiful, luxurious and super soft. My communication with Moroccan Market was professional, expedient and friendly - as was delivery. I highly recommend their services. (Do not hesitate to ask for a specific sizes. My rug wasn't in their catalog)
I'm so happy with this rug (and our little guy is too)! They couldn't have made the process more seamless. We were looking for a very specific size to layer over our area rug, and Jordi went above and beyond, measuring the tassels, the decorative trim and the full size of the rug. It arrived within a few days of shipping from Morocco (we're in New York) and it is exactly what we were looking for!
I absolutely love this rug! It's even more stunning in person. I layered it over a flat weave wall to wall carpet and it looks plush and luxurious. I'm really impressed with the service from Moroccan-Market as well, the communication was excellent, shipping was very quick and they even followed up with an email to check that I was happy with my purchase. I would definitely buy from this company again and recommend them without hesitation. Thank you so much for the gorgeous new rug!
Amazing wool ! We LOVE it